According to Dan Jasper, Mall of America’s Vice President of Communications, the Mall is working in partnership with the City of Bloomington to create a world-class waterpark attraction at the nation’s leading retail and entertainment destination. The 250,000 square foot, enclosed water adventure will be connected directly to the Mall on the north side. However, this new attraction will be so much more than any indoor waterpark experience yet to be found. Guests will enter their tropical oasis adventure and follow paths to immersive discoveries for all ages and adventure-levels.
Growing and adding unparalleled attractions and experiences, along with offering the very best in shopping, dining, and hospitality, has long been the vision for Mall of America. Initial research indicates that this will drive additional tourist traffic to the greater Minneapolis/St. Paul metropolitan area and will bring a much-desired amenity for the millions of local residents to enjoy.
Construction is expected to begin in 2019 with opening in fall of 2021.
A FEW NUMBERS:
- Mall of America currently welcomes more than 40 million annual visitors
- The Mall is the most visited tourist destination under one roof in the United States
- Approximately 40% of all Mall visitors are tourists
- The waterpark will be fully enclosed, featuring a tropical paradise throughout the year
- The waterpark will be approximately 250,000 square feet and will be directly connected to Mall of America on the north side
- The project is expected to cost $230-$250 million which will create well over 1,000 construction, design and engineering jobs
- Once open and operating the attraction is expected to create 500-700 operational jobs with hundreds of indirect employment opportunities
- The project is expected to drive demand for tens of thousands of hotel room nights each year